The Retail Council of Canada (RCC) has announced the 24 winners of its 26th Canadian Grand Prix New Product Awards.
Established and new retailers, suppliers, smaller boutique and family-owned businesses from across Canada made the list. Four recipients also received Special Awards. Oggi Foods Inc. won the All-Canadian trophy for their Cauliflower Pizza Crust, Walmart Canada won Overall Consumer Value for Easy-Blends Fruit & Vegetable Mix, Gay Lea Foods Co-Operative Limited won the Innovation and Originality award for Nordica Smooth Dips, and The Spice Tailor Limited was recognized for Innovative Packaging for The Spice Tailor Daal.
“We’re seeing tremendous innovation in products that allow Canadians to easily recreate a wide range of restaurant-quality taste at home,” said Diane J. Brisebois, RCC president and CEO. “The trend towards a more multiculturally inspired assortment of food products and a cleaner and healthier ingredient list is evident.”
Chef and chief jury chair Marcus Von Albrecht oversaw the judging panel. From 114 products that scored at least 70 per cent on quality and innovation, 40 received recognition as Canadian Grand Prix New Product Award winners.
Multiple-category winners included: Metro Inc, Walmart Canada, Federated Cooperatives Limited, Canadian Tire Corporation and Sobeys Inc.
Also honoured at the May 29 Awards Gala were Donald and David Sobey and the Sobey family, who received RCC’s 2019 Canadian Grand Prix Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of their contributions to the grocery industry in Canada. (You can read the Grocery Business article about the award here.)
The food award winners:
- Baking Needs & Dried Bakery: Duncan Hines Perfect Size for 1 – Conagra Brands
- Beverages: Apple & Eve Vegan Protein Smoothie – A. Lassonde Inc.
- Condiments & Sauces: Adams Dark Roast – Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.
- Confectionery & Shelf Stable Desserts : Grab & Go Collection – Chocolat Lamontagne, inc
- Dairy (Milk, Yogurt, Cheese & Spreadables): Nordica Smooth Dips – Gay Lea Foods Co-Operative Limited
- Deli Meats and Cheeses: Organic Sliced Chicken and Turkey Deli – Yorkshire Valley Farms
- Frozen or Refrigerated Prepared Foods & Entrees: Cauliflower Pizza Crust – Oggi Foods Inc.
Fruits, Vegetables and Produce (Fresh, Refrigerated Or Frozen): Riced Cauliflower – Bonduelle
- Meat, Egg & Seafood Fresh (Refrigerated or Frozen): Sous Chef Kits – Cedar Bay Grilling Company
- Shelf Stable Prepared Foods & Entrees: The Spice Tailor Daal – The Spice Tailor Limited
- Snack (Savoury): Sanissimo Chia & Flax – Bimbo Canada
- Snack (Sweet): Kashi JOI, Nut Bars and Energy Nut Bars – Kashi Company
- Bakery Fresh (par- baked): Irresistibles Tree-Shaped Log – Metro Inc.
- Beverages: Irresistibles Carbonated Spring Water – Metro Inc.
Condiments & Sauces: Sensations by Compliments Spirited Mickie BBQ Sauce – Sobeys Inc.
- Confectionery & Shelf Stable Desserts: Our Finest Fudge Selection – Walmart Canada
- Dairy (Milk, Yogurt, Cheese & Spreadables): Great Value Greek Yogurt Dips – Walmart Canada
- Desserts (fresh, refrigerated or frozen): Irresistibles Ice Cream Bars – Metro Inc.
- Frozen or Refrigerated Prepared Foods & Entrees: Co-op Gold Potstickers – Federated Co-operatives Ltd.
- Fruit, Vegetable & Produce (Fresh, Refrigerated or Frozen): Great Value Easy-Blends Fruit & Vegetable Mix – Walmart Canada
- Meat, Egg & Seafood (Fresh, Refrigerated or Frozen): Co-op Gold PURE Fillets – Federated Co-operatives Ltd.
- Snack (Savoury): Sensations by Compliments Extra Crunchy Kettle-Cooked Potato Chips – Sobeys Inc.
- Snack (Sweet): Irresistibles Naturalia Granola Cereals – Metro Inc.
The full list of winners is available on the RCC website.