The Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers unveiled the winners of the 2020 Canadian Independent Grocer of the Year Awards during its virtual trade show and conference, GSF West Live Retailer Connect.
The awards highlight excellence in grocery retailer among independents.
Safety Mart Food in Chase, B.C. received the Hall of Fame Award. Village Food Markets of Sooke, B.C. received the Arnold Rands Heritage Award.
Below is a list of the winners.
Platinum Achievement Awards:
- The Market By Longo’s, Toronto
- Askew's Foods Downtown, B.C.
- Buy-Low Foods, Grand Forks. B.C.
- Buy-Low Foods, Vancouver
- Galleria Supermarket, Toronto
- Longo's Richmond Hill, Ont.
- Longo’s Maple Leaf Square, Toronto
- Nester’s Market Woodwards, Vancouver
- Safety Mart Foods, Chase, B.C.
National Awards, Specialty Category winners:
- Bronze: Galleria Supermarket, Oakville, Ont.
- Silver: BJ’s Country Market, Delaware, Ont.
David C. Parsons Award
- Yummy Market, Maple, Ont.
Small Surface Awards
- Bronze: Pepper’s Foods, Victoria, B.C.
- Silver: Belbin’s Grocery, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Gold: Vince’s Market, Tottenham, Ont.
Medium Surface Awards
- Bronze: Powell’s Supermarket - Bay Roberts, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Silver: Country Grocer (Royal Oak), Victoria, B.C.
- Gold: Battiselli’s Your Independent Grocer, Lively, Ont.
Large Surface Awards
- Bronze: Country Grocer – Bowen Road, Nanaimo, B.C.
- Silver: Colemans Garden Market, Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Gold: Longo’s – Mount Pleasant, Brampton, Ont.