Instacart has announced a new Instacart Pickup product and the appointment of Instacart veteran Sarah Mastrorocco in a newly created position as general manager, Instacart Pickup.
Today, Instacart powers pickup for more than 50 grocery partners including Loblaw, Walmart and Bulk Barn in Canada.
"2020 is the year of pickup," notes Nilam Ganenthiran, president of Instacart. "For our retail partners, we've seen Instacart Pickup become a gateway to growth in a margin-thin industry. Our pickup product is also becoming a significant revenue contributor for our retail partners, growing customer basket size by an average of 15 per cent and accounting for an average of 20 per cent of a retailer's total Instacart store sales."
The new Instacart Pickup product has been rolling out to consumers gradually over the past several months and is now available to all Instacart customers across Canada and the U.S. Among the new features, Instacart Pickup now includes:
- Smart Storefronts - Customers can now view delivery and pickup options from a single digital storefront for each of their favorite grocers on the Instacart platform. The new Smart Storefront feature allows customers to easily toggle between delivery and pickup options to view the most up-to-date inventory by store and compare time windows for both.
- "Pick Your Pickup" Mapping - Coming from home, work, soccer practice and everywhere in between, customers can now easily view and select the pickup location most convenient to their route that day.
- "On The Way" Alerts for Faster Pickup - Customers can now enable location-based notifications to let the store know when they're on the way and getting close. Handoff is more seamless with this new feature, which allows in-store shoppers to be ready and waiting for customers curbside in real-time.
- Customized Navigation - Instacart Pickup's new navigation feature sends customers to the mapping app of their choice, automatically directing drivers from their current location to the store.
- Send a Friend or Family Member - Customers can now share their order details with friends and family to delegate pickup to another driver. Place the order and send a friend to pick it up!
- Alcohol Pickup - Instacart continues to extend the aisles of its pickup product, and is now also offering alcohol pickup across more than 20 retail partners, including Aldi, BevMo!, Publix, Save Mart, Sprouts and Wegmans, among others.