Technology, innovation and research are crucial to farmers looking to boost production and enhance competitiveness. The research being carried out across Quebec and the entire country is helping our farmers remain well-positioned for future growth and prosperity.
The Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, has announced investments totalling more than $1.7 million in funding for nine projects across Quebec, which will help support and advance innovation within the sector.
These AgriScience projects, plus the six additional projects announced today, are advancing innovation, pre-commercial science activities and cutting-edge research.
"The projects announced this morning under the AgriScience Program once again demonstrate our government's commitment to supporting our farmers in developing the knowledge and know-how necessary to optimize the production of quality food while protecting the environment," said Marie-Claude Bibeau, minister of agriculture and agri-Food.
- The AgriScience Program, an initiative under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership, aims to support research activities to help industry overcome challenges and address fiscal barriers experienced by small and emerging sectors. The Program also seeks to mitigate high-risk opportunities that have the potential to yield significant returns.
- The Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a $3 billion, five-year (2018-2023) investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to strengthen and grow Canada's agriculture and agri-food sector.
- Ferme Onésime Pouliot specializes in the production of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and sweet potatoes. The organization focuses on supplying fresh produce to grocery stores in Quebec and other eastern Canadian provinces, as well as conducting research and promote the advancement of scientific knowledge within the sector.
- Institut de recherche et de développement en agroenvironnement is a research and development institute whose mission is to support the development of sustainable agriculture in Québec by fostering innovation and partnerships.
- Les Moulins de Soulanges are creators and producers of specialty flour. They offer innovative flour solutions for the bakery and food industries while helping the environment and promoting local, Agriculture Raisonnée™-certified farming practices.