Co op strike to continue

A strike by Saskatoon Co-op employees is set to continue after union members rejected a management offer last week. The company says 60 per cent of the union members who turned out for the vote on January 4 chose to reject the offer, reports CBC News.

Saskatoon Co-op CEO Grant Wicks voiced the company’s disappointment at the outcome of the vote but said that he remains optimistic a deal can be reached.

The offer would have maintained workers’ benefits and wages at current levels while new hires would come in under a different contract and receive lower pay and benefits. This two-tier structure has proved to be one of the main points of contention between workers and management during the strike.

The company said its latest offer did include changes to the two-tier structure including fewer positions in the lower tier and a higher starting wage for second-tier employees than previous offers.

The strike by UFCW Local 1400 began on November 1 of last year.

Back to Top