UNFI Canada has released the details of its 2022 achievements in advancing its ESG ambitions, including, but not limited to, the following activities:
- Created an Environment, Social and Governance committee to oversee the programs and practices that guide how UNFI Canada shows up as a socially and environmentally responsible organization
- We are a member of the CAMSC (Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council) to help facilitate the growth of aboriginal and minority-owned companies.
- In the final stages of becoming a corporate member of the Women Business Enterprises Canada Council (WBE Canada), a Canadian nonprofit organization that works to empower and facilitate the success of women-owned businesses with equitable access within supply chains to drive innovation, social value and economic growth in communities across Canada.
- Awarded over $1 million in grants through the UNFI Foundation to build better food systems
- UNFI Canada awarded $25,000 to Foodshare Toronto as the lone Canadian recipient.
- Reduced 1.6 million miles from UNFI distribution routes through the Company’s maximized routes and ValuePath initiative
- Launched new ‘Every Moment Matters’ safety brand and enhanced safety programming across its network of distribution centers.
- Working directly with Sobeys to design a supplier diversity program to help provide benefits in several areas, stretching from cost savings to talent management.
- We have embarked on an initiative to validate that product attributes are assigned to the correct SKU and provide Supplier Diversity certifications.
- Launched four new associate-led Belonging & Innovation Groups (BIGs)
- ADELANTE (forward) moves UNFI’s network of Hispanic/Latinx associates toward the future, focusing on mentoring, recruitment, retention, and shaping our current and future leaders.
- BUILT BIG will serve as a resource group to foster networking, professional development, mentoring and leadership opportunities with a focus on recruitment, retention, learning and advancement of Black associates across all UNFI.
- DREAM BIG creates space for disability education and awareness to promote accessibility, physical and psychological safety, advancement opportunities, and help eliminate stigma and misperception.
- WIN (Women’s Integrated Network) BIG To unite people of all genders at UNFI to advance women leaders, build community, serve as a diverse sounding board, and drive innovation
UNFI Canada also organized a series of “volunteer days” in 2022, and its associates booked over 500 hours of volunteer hours collectively.
Lastly, UNFI Canada has always supported women in business and has invested in the membership of our female associates to NextUp, an empowering network of women, men, allies, and corporate partners working together to eliminate barriers for women in the workplace. We are also proud to report that of our 25 senior leaders in Canada, 56 per cent of women are in these management roles.