Sobeys says that if it can reach a deal with labour unions in BC on a new collective agreement, it will move ahead with plans to launch its FreshCo stores in the province.
As previously reported in Grocery Business (“BC government appoints special officer in Sobeys dispute,”) the BC Minister of Labour has appointed a “special officer” to bring the two parties together.
“In January, we announced the permanent closure of ten Safeway stores,” a company spokesperson said. “We also shared that five of those stores could potentially reopen as FreshCo locations pending the outcome of discussions with the relevant labour unions. This continues to be our focus as we advance our plans to bring our FreshCo banner to Western Canada.”
In a statement, Sobeys announced the following schedule of store closures:
The following store locations will close permanently on July 5:
· Safeway, Lougheed Mall, Burnaby
· Safeway, City Square, Vancouver (closing July 28)
· Safeway, Sunwood Square, Coquitlam
· Safeway, Point Grey, Vancouver
· Safeway, Royal Oak, Burnaby
The following store locations will close on July 5, with the potential to reopen as FreshCo stores, following the outcome of discussions with the relevant labour unions:
· Safeway, Blundell, Richmond
· Safeway, Broadmoor, Richmond
· Safeway, Newton Town Center, Surrey
· Safeway, Strawberry Hills, Surrey
· Safeway, Mission