Walmart Canada is investing more than $500 million in its store network to modernize stores across the country.
Walmart Canada says it's the largest yearly investment in store upgrades as it continues to improve the customer experience and modernize its business. The move will create more than 2,000 construction jobs across the country and will result in more than 60 per cent of stores receiving the updates.
We are on a mission to modernize all aspects of our business and that includes our stores," says Horacio Barbeito, president and CEO of Walmart Canada. "Investing in our stores is a major priority. In so many cases our stores are pillars in the community, and we want them at their best – especially as we serve our customers in more omnichannel ways."
These updates are the latest in a series of store investments, building on the retailer's planned $3.5 billion investment over the next five years to make the online and in-store shopping experience simpler, faster and more convenient for Walmart customers.
"When a customer chooses to shop at our stores we want to do everything we can to ensure they are met with the best and most modern experience possible," says Sam Wankowski, chief operations officer, Walmart Canada. "We are making a lot of improvements, including digitizing the experience to be more contemporary and creating a more efficient store to serve our customers regardless of how they choose to shop with us."
The projects include:
- Upgrading Supercentres by enhancing the look and feel of the store for example with improved lighting, repairs, paint, new signage, and a refreshed exterior front look
- Upgrading and improving associate lounges
- Enhancing some of our highest e-commerce volume stores with an improved picking space for online orders
- Revamping sales floor layout in select stores
- Walmart Canada's first automated market fulfilment centre inside the Scarborough West Walmart Supercentre (more details here)
- The Calgary Northland Walmart and the Kitchener Walmart will be converted to Supercentres, and will feature an impressive assortment of fresh groceries, general merchandise, and convenient services available at Walmart's low prices every day.