In these unprecedented times, the Walmart Canada team is working tirelessly for our customers and communities.
I’d like to update you on the status of our stores and how we’re supporting both the most vulnerable in our communities and our own Associates.
Keeping Our Stores Available To Canadians:
- Our stores will remain open. We’re working with all levels of government to ensure grocers and pharmacies will be there for Canadian families.
- We’ll dedicate the opening hour of stores exclusively for seniors, the disabled and those with vulnerable health conditions.
- There’s plenty of food and supplies. Our teams are working around the clock to replenish our shelves to deal with demand.
- To manage supply, some stores are limiting quantities per customer to ensure there are more products available for more customers.
- Pickup and delivery demand is high. To help Canadians self-isolate, we’ve made changes to Walmart.ca to allow grocery home deliveries to be left at their door.
- Walmart Canada is hiring. We want to immediately hire 10,000 more Associates in our stores and distribution centres. There’s a lot of work and we need you! Please visithttp://careers.walmart.ca/.
- Last but not least – we will continue to deliver everyday low prices to our customers.
Helping Where It’s Needed:
Our long-time charity partners are severely impacted by this crisis. Their programs are critical and must continue.
That’s why Walmart Canada is making an immediate $1 million donation so our charity partners can provide immediate service.
Additionally, the Walmart Foundation is committing to invest $1 million (CDN) for meeting immediate needs in Canada in the coming days – for a total of $2 million for our most vulnerable Canadians.
In particular, Walmart Canada will donate an additional $500,000 to Food Banks Canada so they can share critical food resources with local food banks across Canada.
We’ll also extend our ongoing “Fight Hunger. Spark Change” campaign in support of local food banks until April 3 – and meet our goal to provide 15 million meals to Canadian families.
When it comes to broader needs, the Red Cross is working to mobilize relief efforts across the country. That’s why we’ll make an immediate $500,000 investment in the Canadian Red Cross to support domestic relief and recovery operations. And we’ll support any nation-wide relief campaigns in our stores.
Our Associates Are Making A Difference:
These are uncertain times for our business and for many of you. But it’s also brought out the best in our 90,000 Associates.
I’ve been overwhelmed with the stories I’m hearing across the country. About Joel, an Associate in our Calgary distribution centre, who processed 3,200 cases in one shift – a massive amount! – to ensure that our products got to customers like you. About Associates who’ve worked entire shifts then volunteered to deliver supplies to local food banks. And Associates who are helping deliver food to seniors stuck in their homes.
That’s just our Walmart Canada team – so many people are making huge efforts to respond to this crisis.
We’ve already announced steps to provide additional support for Associates affected by the crisis. In addition, we’re offering access to live online physician care for all 90,000+Associates so that they can get the advice and care they need. And we’re accelerating our store Associate annual bonus payments to recognize their hard work.
This is an extraordinarily difficult time, but Walmart Canada will do all we can for the well-being of our customers, our neighbours and our Associates.