Oleen Smethurst, assistant vice president, general merchandise for Costco Wholesale Canada, has been named the Canadian Produce Person of the Year by U.S. based The Packer.
Each year the award is presented to individuals who have demonstrated excellence in the produce industry, including through community engagement and relationships with business partners. The individual may represent any area of the Canadian produce industry, including private, government or allied sectors.
The Packer has been presenting this award to outstanding members of the industry for 47 years. Just a few of the notable past recipients are:
- 2019 Les Mallard, Fyffes North America
- 2018 Murray Driediger, B.C. Fresh president and CEO
- 2012: Jane Proctor, CPMA/ACDFL
- 2011: Bernadette Hamel, Metro Richelieu Inc.
- 2004: Leo Baribeau, Star Produce Ltd.
- 2003: Doug Grant, The Oppenheimer Group
- 1996: Wayne McKnight, Sobeys Inc.
Oleen Smethurst was featured in Grocery Business magazine in the March/April 2019 issue. Smethurst is the past chair of the Canadian Produce Marketing Assocation (CPMA).